Sunday 22 March 2015

Brake problem confirmed. Rear nearside cylinder

The advantage of the days getting longer is obvious, time at the end of the day to at least start to look at the problem with the brake fluid. Made a start at 4.00pm. By 5.30 the issue is apparent and if I have started at the opposite corner then I'd have found it sooner!

I had assumed that the front offside was going to be the problem, because that was the one that looked as if it hadn't been touched as recently as the others. So started there. Made sense to look at the nearside front whilst there, then a closer look in the area of the master cylinder whilst the front was jacked up, just in case.

Nothing untoward at the front so started to look at the rear. A glance in that direction before starting would have given me a clue, if I had just had a cursory inspection first. There was a tell tale "dribble" down the indside of the wheel and tyre:

So from that point I was fairly confident where to look next and what I was going to find.


Jacked the back up, look at the suspect wheel first. It's pretty clear what the problem is:






















So, have ordered cylinder seal repair kit. Need to get the cylinder off ready to fix it. Hopefully sort it out next weekend. Same side as where the petrol tank feed pipe is leaking so fix that at the same time. At least know I can bleed the brakes when I have done it now after freeing up the bleed nipples last year! As said in previous post, can't complain. This goes with the territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, all will be moderated and spam will be deleted.