Thursday 2 July 2015

Journey's end next year maybe?

This blog is half personal. Just thinking out loud. Strangely with Amy running pretty much as she should for quite some time and only minor bits and pieces coming up occasionally, I am sensing that by next year enough will be enough. Counter intuitive, as even I would have thought that would have the opposite effect.

In an early post where I was pondering the same, but from a different angle. It was Negative thoughts at that time that made me think of chucking in the towel. Now, after a couple of good driving seasons nearly under my belt and Amy running really well I am thinking of parting ways with her.

A few reasons I think, I don't think I am quite the enthusiast I thought I was long term, it has been great but....

My son will start driving soon and be wanting a car. so driveway space is an issue,

The family is also part of it. As much as I got resounding support when getting Amy and a good deal of interest from them at the start, that has also waned. My son does his own thing more and more, so that's had a knock on effect to my thinking. I don't really want to be just doing this stuff on my own, it was always more fun when he came and the family would turn up from time to time.

The potential for deterioration. She needs to be driven into a garage and kept properly dry, especially in winter. There has been only minor deterioration over the past few years, front bumper has suffered the most, which I'll have re-chromed. There are a few bubbles and patches on the body work in the usual places, only slightly worse than when I got her. But I have NO intention of building a garage and if I keep her for 10 years, out on the driveway all the time, chances are the rot WILL set in.

Finally minor point, got a fair few shows booked in this year, looking forward to them, I still enjoy being an owner rather than just a spectator, but enough of a reason to override the other issues? Especially on my own as mentioned. I have always had a relatively short attention span, and it partly feels like "been here, done that" even with some new shows coming up. Some people have had their cars for decades, but  that's not me it seems! I love driving her when I am behind the wheel, but all the other times when she is just sitting on the driveway and that seems a little pointless.

So it may be that my classic car experience is 3 to 4 years. I have no problem with that if turns out to be the case. Perfect little window of opportunity grasped with both hands and (mostly) enjoyed. But she may be up for sale next summer. We'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, all will be moderated and spam will be deleted.