Wednesday 5 November 2014

Thermostat and Blanking Sleeve

OK, so ready to go. Just have to drill a couple of flow holes in the Thermostat flange to allow SOME flow to happen before the stat opens. Also position the small holes in the sleeve so that there is a small amount through the bypass port. But the depth of the sleeve and positioning of the stat means that when it opens then the path of least resistance is CLEARLY up through the rad.


Partly still not totally sure I should bother to do this, despite a lot of information pointing to this as a fix!! A cold running car is inefficient and probably getting coked up more than necessary, but it WORKS. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!? But I'd like to think this is a good thing, plus having a heater that works was nice in the few weeks when I did have a thermostat fitted and working!

I am fitting the 75°C stat first at least. I tested it thoroughly in a saucepan. It opens across the range of about 70° - 77° to fully open. This should be fine (I also have an 88°C one but one step at a time).

Not doing it until AFTER the weekend though, I want to test it out on fairly short runs to start with and the White Lion is a medium run.. (10 miles is still a medium run?..!! I guess it still highlights a relatively low confidence level, despite all the progress...!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, all will be moderated and spam will be deleted.