Thursday 29 August 2013

Panel lights work, and first trip to the pub!

Wednesday night is pub night. It HAD to be my turn to drive of course. One of the guys, older chap, is pretty sure he remembered his father having one of these and it was a nostalgia trip there for him too.

Definitely have the hang of starting her up now, no issues there. The timing of easing out the choke I need to get used to. Maybe some settling in and adjusting needed, as not ticking over as well as before it seems.

But planning to go through the whole ignition system and do some basic servicing in due course. Need to stock up on tools. Feeler gauges, spark plug removal socket, emery cloth, copper-eze etc.!!!

Also getting the hang of gear changing, need to get mindful of not expecting to be able to whack it down into 2nd at 40mph in preparation for letting the clutch up when slowed down!!! It just doesn't work that way!! 20 years of poor driving habits I need to un-learn! Cancelling the indicators I am also remembering more and more.

The panel light mystery solved. They only come on when the headlights are on! So I don't understand why there is even a switch. Why not just come on when the headlights are on like in a normal modern ca...... oh wait.. hold on...! Must remember again, that this is 60 years ago. But anyway perhaps kind of obvious that the dash lights only work when headlights are on, but I just didn't think. So I can see my dashboard at night now.. Especially useful when driving home from the pub, even if a couple of shandies is the limit these days!

Figured out the trip reset too. I have done just over 100miles in her and as of writing this entry, mileage is 35169. I would assume that this is not the vehicle's actual mileage. Maybe 135169? Or just anybody's guess. (I remember putting a new speedo in my Beetle.. original mileage is to be ignored in a car of this age methinks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, all will be moderated and spam will be deleted.