Thursday 29 August 2013

Reality bites...

The outcome of these next couple of posts is probably as obvious as Gareth Bale's transfer from Tottenham to Real Madrid! But in the interest of diarisation.

I viewed the car for the first time on Thursday afternoon (as mentioned - that was a week ago from this Blog's creation date). From a privacy point of view I won't go into any detail about the seller himself, but the purchase "negotiations" were as pleasant an experience I could think of.

I was confused to start with, because the garage was opened and the car was there, but a different colour. The response was "Oh that's my one, the one you are looking at is over here... " Eye's right and there is ANOTHER A40 Somerset, the one I expected to see! The guy was an enthusiast himself, ran his own A40, he had bought this one for some spares that were with it and was selling the car on. The previous owner's father had also been an enthusiast as I understand, but unfortunately had passed away. Hence the reason the car was eventually sold.

It was still being sold on with it's original engine and gearbox as a spare!  Also a spare bootlid and bonnet and other bits and pieces. Wheels, inner tube, other box of stuff!!


The negotiations then took the form of a beginners lesson about how these old cars work. And the fact that the local members of the owners club meet locally and I was more than welcome if I bought the car and therefore a good support network, because my concern that I was biting off more than I can chew was probably discernible! But to be honest, there was no discussion on price needed. I was already hooked and in no mind to haggle over something that seemed to be bang on the money.

Just needed the wife's rubber stamp, would I be heading for the divorce courts if this car turned up on the driveway...... Went home a mix of anticipation and dread. Although I had kind of cleared that I was doing this, would the reality be as accepting when push came to shove.......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, all will be moderated and spam will be deleted.