Saturday 6 September 2014

All clear - phew! But...

So - it was the valve clearances. A number of them were tight. Adjustment PLUS a clean up of the spark plugs and we are back to normal. So from a short termist viewpoint I am very happy!

ACCC meet on Tuesday (Brooklands or Ash Vale not sure yet) plus Cobham Heritage Day next weekend still looks on, was a bit miffed about the possibility of missing both!

But as my neighbor mentioned to me (he runs a 70's 3 Litre Scimitar Convertible, not one of the 80's small ones, its a beast!), it could be an indication of valve seat recession caused by the unleaded fuel. (my cylinder head has NOT been converted) So for now I'm not too concerned, it was always a known possibility, depending on who you listen to. Small amount of adjustment after 1000 miles is OK, not sure HOW many times I can just do that before it no longer fixes the problem. But I'll wait and see if/when it raises it's head (pun intended!!) again.

I have a spare cylinder head, albeit with a small crack, the engine firm that skimmed the one I'm using quoted me around £250 to convert it to unleaded. The process of inserting the hardened seats would involve removing the metal around the crack and not be a problem, so happy to have that possibility on the back burner.

Unless anyone has a reason why that would be causing other long term damage to other parts of the engine? Can't think of any reason to worry, but  any insight welcome!

Roll on (Indian) Summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, all will be moderated and spam will be deleted.