Sunday 11 September 2016

Most tentative 2 miles!! - Electronic Ignition in. After over 2 1/2 years!!

Finally, Amy is powered by electronic ignition!! (Originally planned this upgrade in Jan 2014!!)

Took the plunge this morning. It was made rather more complicated by the fact that rotor arm was mounted 180 degrees opposite to the original and the distributor cap is also at 90 degrees to it.

Bottom line was that I had to ignore the instructions to a certain extent and add my own thought process to the HT leads order etc... Only really had to be careful to get no 1 right and then follow the firing order, but nevertheless it hurt my brain at 9.00 this morning!

But after huffing and puffing, it's in and running. Warming up the engine was scary cos it invloved a lot of backfiring to start with, until it was warm then I could take off the choke, do some finer adjustment and then finally around the block. Runs very nicely, although it;s not this magic eureka moment.  But certain aspects are smoother.

I think I'll ask for some help in getting it finer tuned this time from some friends in the club.

There is still hesitation on cruising just like she has pretty much always had. With such a major change of ignition system then it has GOT to be in relation to fuel/carb/mixture or something.

But all good so far!!!

Did another 8 or so miles later on, took a picture, on an  old road near town, whilst meeting up with the family and walking the dog.

Apart from the modern vehicles, it kinda looks old-school as my phone is refusing to focus!! So gave the colouring a bit of a retro feel.






Hopefully can get back to normal now. Will be measuring the miles since these repairs and 20 done so far !! And next milestone is that 40,000 is 500 miles away!

Will refurbish the old distrubutior anyway, I have all the parts to make it good as new. Then I'll carry all of that around with me as my "repair" option!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, all will be moderated and spam will be deleted.