Monday 12 September 2016

OK - Fuel line still a problem - but clear to see

A few more miles today, mainly to get the engine get warmed up again to give the head gasket a re-torque. But had a couple of errands to run at the same time, so made it a useful journey. Confidence growing in the Electronic ignition, and why not really? If it's working its working.

BUT on the way home suffered a breakdown again. It wasn't the electrics!!!! Although disappointing, the great thing is that now I CAN SEE the problem. The run of clear flexible fuel line showed it was mostly air in the line. When pumping through manually you could see the fuel trying to come through but not managing to keep up.

Blowing back up the fuel line is also easier, and after I did that you could see a "cloud" of dark stuff come back up with the fuel when re-priming manually.

So good news is that it was relatively easy to get going again and CLEAR cause. Bad news is that I am still suffering from intermittent fuel blockage.

Clearly the source of the crud is the tank and I am down to a third full tank and I said I would keep her full. But the run of copper pipe is convoluted and up and down with some sharpish bends, so I will still try the full run of clear line from front to back before I resign myself to needing the tank off. Just in case it is mostly the fuel line getting the occasional block and not from the tank itself. (petrol always seems to flow freely from the outlet... )

I have to laugh when I look back at the day I thought my problem was the spark plugs being loose!! Oh such naive optimism!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, all will be moderated and spam will be deleted.